|Original Picture: Sam Sanford|
Here's how I deal with it.
1. I have a rule: no reading critiques right before bed. Critiques either make me despair, or else drive my brain into a planning frenzy trying to fix things. Either way, I sleep terribly when this happens.
2. Read it all in one go. No sense in dragging out the torture.
3. Eat some bacon.
4. Write down the major things that need work. Once I see it as a list, I usually realize there's only a couple of things that will take more than a sentence-change to fix (granted, there's a thousand sentence changes, but . . . ).
5. Take a break. My brain needs time to process how to fix things. Optionally: repeat step #3.
6. Make a plan. I don't know about you, but by the time I have a plan (and some bacon), I feel all better.
What about you? Are you wrecked by critiques (and if not, who are you)? What do you do about it?