Now I don't care who told you that -- whether it was agents, editors, Gene Wolfe, or your mom -- that is a terrible reason to quit writing. Of course your first novel is no good.
Here are some real reasons to quit writing:
- You actually want to make money.
- You'd rather watch Downton Abbey.
- There is a contract out on your life, and you have to stay off the grid.
- Telling stories is against your religion and/or you have taken a vow of silence.
- You hate writing.
- Jesus has returned and/or the Mayans were right.
- You want to be a doctor, a teacher, or some other job that actually helps people.
- Writing would postpone the completion of your freeze ray.
- You are part of an alien race that shares a single hive consciousness and, therefore, does not tell stories.
- You are dead.
But if you finish that freeze ray, let me know. I might want to borrow it.
Can you think of any other good reasons to quit writing?
* Except maybe the Stephen King bit.