FIRST, you can get a critique. I will accept:
- Query Letters
- Back-Cover Copy
- First Pages
- 1-page Synopses
- Basically anything under 300 words that is used to answer the question, "Do I want to read this book?"
Send your first impact material to firstimpactAE@gmail.com. Tell me WHAT IT IS (query letter, back-cover, etc.), the TITLE, the AUTHOR (that's you), the GENRE, and then no more than about 300 words.
Every Wednesday, I will post one of these to the blog along with my thoughts. Then I'll open it up for critiques from Author's Echo readers (who, by the way, are really smart and talented individuals themselves).
But wait, there's more!
The SECOND good thing is for those of you who will be critiquing. Not only do you get to experience all the goodness of giving a critique, but every month I will randomly select one critter to win EITHER:
- $10 at Amazon or B&N
- A 20-page critique from me
Seriously, I can't see a downside for anybody here. First Impact posts start going up next week. If you have any questions, read the fine print or ask away in the comments.
- I will try to critique everything sent to me, but I make no guarantees. What if you guys send me like a thousand query letters? What if I go blind from awesome? What if the Mayans were right? YOU JUST NEVER KNOW!
- I will accept any genre, though keep in mind sci-fi/fantasy is my thing.
- Critters will receive one entry for each week they offer a critique. Most months, this means you can earn up to 4 entries for the drawing.
- Only actual critiques will be entered for the monthly prize. They don't have to be long, just useful. "This rocks!" or "This sucks!" won't cut it.
- You may comment multiple times on a single post, but you'll still get only one entry for the drawing.